By: Catalina Patane, co-founder of Dèfii Botanicals
Your skin is your largest organ. Taking care of it means taking care of yourself.
Why does skin care matter for self care?
We envision a world where women are cared for — by themselves, each other, and society.
Skincare products just happen to be our way of offering accessible healing and self care — from the inside out.
- Your skin is your largest organ. It makes up about 15% of your total body weight, and spans about 21 square feet. Each inch of skin contains roughly 19 million skin cells, 650 sweat glands, 20 blood vessels, and 1,000 nerve endings.
- Your skin is your first line of defense against the outside world. It acts as a barrier to keep irritants, allergens, foreign objects, and toxins out of your body — so keeping it healthy is important for your overall well being. Plus, it supports your body’s natural detoxification systems via excreting sweat and sebum (the natural oils found on skin).
- Your skin helps regulate your body temperature, further protecting all your internal organs and life-maintaining systems.
- Your skin renews itself every 28 days. This is why it takes at least 2 months to see the effects of a new product you’re using on your skin.
- Your skin acts as a barometer for what’s happening inside your body. Our skin can often show signs of underlying health issues. It’s a visual representation of how all the functions in your body are actually doing, so keeping it in good shape is important for monitoring your health.
In short, if you’re going to do something simple to support your overall health, starting with your skin is a good choice. It’s simple to take care of (especially with products like our moisturizing salve or body oil) and pays off in many ways.
But we know that self care is more than skin deep — so let’s dive into the significance of the Dèfii mission.
Embracing Who You Are is an Act of Dèfiiance
Our co-founder Catalina Patane has a background in personal development and transformational coaching. Above all, she stands for women feeling empowered to find the strength to stand up for what they believe in.
“You don’t need to put on a strong face for the sake of others’ approval,” says Catalina, “We’re here to help you feel more connected to yourself, and finally break free from inner conflict and the need to impress others.”
Connecting with yourself can be as simple as taking a few extra moments to sink into a cup of tea before bed, lather on a rich body butter after an all-day hike, or swipe on a nourishing lip balm in the school pickup line. So often we rush through our personal care routines, trying to get out the door to work, daycare, or social events as quickly as possible.
You might even use these opportunities to mutter a mantra, acknowledge your body for carrying you through this world, or smile at yourself in the mirror.
In today’s world — that asks us to move faster, do more, and mind what we say — these small moments of remembering who you are, are an act of defiance.
Why support a brand that supports women?
When all women take care of themselves, we can create a world that takes care of all women.
We believe that starting from within is what empowers each of us to stand up for the needs of others.
Every purchase you make with Dèfii supports our mission of dismantling systems that disproportionately affect women around the world. Our products are not only a vehicle for your self-care routine, so you can nourish yourself; they’re also a vehicle for bringing awareness to the challenges many women face.
We’ll leave you with this: if you have everything and still don’t feel like it’s enough — it’s time to look inside yourself. Our hope is that our all natural, small batch products help you slow down, and seek greater meaning.
- Tags: 100% natural All-Natural Skincare clean and sustainable products clean beauty consciously crafted ethical business practices fertility struggle highest standards infertility lifestyle choices natural skincare natural skincare brand no toxins or fillers Non-toxic skincare nontoxic living organic skincare products pure ingredients socially responsible business toxin-free